12.11.2008

The Junkie That Stole Christmas


So..... I have talked before about my amazing job. I love my job, I love my job because I don't really work for the money, and it is about so much more then that for me. I consider myself to be extremely blessed to have the opportunity to impact lives daily on the level that I do. Anyways, this post really isn't about me.... In fact, this is more about my job impacting me this week.
Every year around Christmas the clients that I work with are given the opportunity to perform a "holiday presentation". We make them aware of the idea in October and they start planning, we never know what will come of it, or how creative they may get... A reminder I work in a jail, creativity runs few and far between here. They are not given props, outfits, music. But they manage to come up with all of it. Yesterday was one of the 2 program "holiday presentations" that we hold. The ladies I work with decided that the theme for the year would be "The Junkies that Stole Christmas". Although I won't go in to every countless detail, I will say that the idea was that as a drug addict so often they cannot even hear the sounds of Christmas any more. They cannot deal with the feelings surrounding the holidays and in an effort to deal with this they continue to get high. Throughout the skit they came up with songs that were parodies from all of our favorite Christmas Songs i.e "Yellow Cells" instead of Silver Bells, All I want for Christmas is Sobriety instead of my two front teeth. Anyways you get the drift, although the experience is very surreal, it is filled with creativity. The story line ends with them being arrested and sentenced to the substance abuse program in the jail, release from jail, and the next year they can then feel and hear Christmas. My clients albeit by their own choices are at a place in their lives that they have lost any and everything that means or meant anything to them. Their choices have led to the loss of family, children, belongings, safety, a home, and most of all hope! I sat and watched yesterday as these women performed and realized....... For a moment right then they had the opportunity to experience HOPE, ACCOMPLISHMENT, ACHIEVEMENT, JOY, FRIENDSHIP, CAMARADERIE, and SUCCESS. For each women the void that simple moment may have filled for them is untouchable. My wish for all of them is that during this holiday time they finally get to remember all of those feelings, with a clear head and a clearing heart they get to be just a little more humble and spend today and everyday with just a little more hope!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Loved the blog...with the titled I worried something happened during your incarceration yesterday and someone stole your money or purse or something to that effect...and then I was humbled. Thank you for this story!

SJayneI said...

Thank you for sharing this inspiring story. Keep up the good work!

Aly said...

WOW! That is so amazing! I hope that they can get back on their feet and "feel" life (and Christmas) again! How cool to have been able to witness such an incredible and heartfelt occasion.

One of my best friends struggles with prescription drug addiction, and that's just it...she lapses into it when she doesn't want to "feel", she just wants to be numb and not deal with life (the ups or the downs). My heart goes out to these women and I pray that they can pull out of this disease.

Unknown said...

Absolutely Beautiful. Thank You For Sharing. With Ladies Like You There Is Always Hope. Happy Holidays!